A mother who had just completed a first aid course has saved the life of her daughter after the child choked on a Yorkshire pudding.

Rachel Davidson heard three-year-old Holly coughing and turned to see her clutching her throat and gasping for breath “with her eyes rolling”.

The 33-year-old mother said she was “terrified”, but as she rushed to help Holly, it seemed as if the course tutor was “talking me through it in my mind”.

“I laid her over my arm with her head slightly tilted and hit her with sharp blows between the shoulder blades until the Yorkshire pudding ‘popped out’.

“Everything was so fresh in my mind I knew instinctively what to do,” said the mother of two.