Businesses in remote and outback areas have been warned to check equipment in outhouses and sheds after a Nova Scotia, Canada wind farm operator was fined C$95,000 over the deaths of two people from carbon-monoxide poisoning.

Rotor Mechanical Service was charged – and pled guilty – after the bodies of Kyle Elliott of Brentwood and Mandi Balagot were found in a company maintenance shed.

They had been overcome by fumes from an improperly installed electrical generator in the building.

The company admitted it had failed to ensure the generator was installed and operated to the manufacturer’s recommendations and also had failed to ensure the health and safety of the two victims.